Upgrading For Growth
Happy Trash Can (HTC) Curbside Composting LLC in Bozeman, MT started in 2016 as a small community composting operation on a farm receiving Source Separated Organics (SSO) and wood chips. Ryan Green, a professional composter from the New York City Compost Project, and his Bozeman native wife, Adrienne Huckabone, also an experienced composter from NYC, founded the company. They used the static pile composting method with a bucket and skid steer to turn the windrows.
From the beginning, HTC provided, and grew, a food waste collection service, processed the organics and sold a high quality product to the community. As the customer base, and the volume of SSO feedstock material grew, HTC needed additional space for the static pile operation, and the time it took to process – over 6-8 months to produce a saleable product.
- Site name: Story Mill Convenience Site
- Ownership: Happy Trash Can Curbside Composting LLC
- Location: Bozeman, MT
- Start-Up: In 2016 started composting at another location using static piles and bucket turning. In 2018 started using SG Mobile® System with GORE® Covers
- Technology: 3 SG Mobile®Systems with 2 GORE® Covers
- Input quantity: 100 ton/batch
- No. of Heaps: 3 heaps, 2 covers, 15m x 6 m x 2.5m
- Treatment Time: 8 weeks in 3 Phases
- Aeration: On-Floor pipe
- Control Parameters: Oxygen control mode
- Input material: Source Separated Organics, Wood Chips, Yard Waste
- Equipment: Skid Steer / Table Screen /Well water / SSO Collection Truck and Trailer / Dump truck
- End Product: High Quality Finished Compost
Hear First Hand...
Because of the SG team’s help and support – and an awesome composting system – we were able to focus on the outreach and education essential to growth. We tell everyone the system is like a crock pot – just set it and forget it! Ryan Green & Adrienne Huckabone, Happy Trash Can Curbside Composting LLC